We were revisiting our cocktail menu at Maldonado Bistro and after some research discovered this lovely combination of the classic Averna amaro with the freshness of the summer watermelon.
Averna is a Sicilian product which today is owned by the Campari Group. The liqueur, or better ‘amaro‘, was invented in 1868 by Salvatore Averna. Salvatore surely was a saviour as the digestive drink has become a staple in restaurants all over Malta and Gozo. A favourite amongst diners to enjoy at the end of a meal.
The following cocktail recipe is a fantastic summertime tipple. It is fresh, fruity and herbaceous. You will think differently on how to enjoy a shot of Averna after this one.
If you would like to check out the cocktail menu at Maldonado Bistro, visit here >>
- Food Processor or Liquidiser
- Cocktail Shaker
- 250 grams Watermelon (approximately)
- Ice Cubes
- 50 ml Amaro Averna
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Fresh Mint
- Tonic Water
- First remove the rind of the watermelon and liquidise the pulp. Then pass through a sieve to capture the seeds and discard.
- Load the cocktail shaker with ice cubes and add the Averna, lemon juice, 100ml of watermelon puree and mint. Shake rigorously for two to three minutes.
- Add ice to a tumbler glass and pour the liquids from the cocktail shaker.
- Top the glass with a splash of fizzy tonic water.
- Decorate with a sprig of mint. An orange peel twist could be a nice touch too.