Valentine’s is the time to express your love. It’s a busy time at Maldonado Bistro as quite a few couples book their romantic table for two to celebrate their relationship together. We love to treat our guests during this time and always try to make it point to surprise them with a little edible treat.
This year we decided to prepare something as an ideal post-Valentine’s dinner morning treat. Something delicious. Something wholesome. We set off doing our research on finding a nice muffin recipe where we can include some in-season strawberries. After all strawberries are part of the Valentine’s red theme. But also strawberries are an aphrodisiac fruit. (We will let you Google that one to find out what that means!)
Below is the recipe we used. For us a nice muffin needs to be moist and fluffy. The oil and apples in the recipe help on the moistness element. The baking agents and yoghurt help the batter rise and give the muffin its fluffy texture. The white chocolate and tahini are optional extras which add a little bit more depth of flavour thanks to the cocoa butter in the white chocolate and the sesame in the tahini.
It’s quite an easy recipe to put together in a flash. Great to pre-bake in the evening to find them conveniently at dawn to compliment your morning brew.
Apple & Strawberry Muffins
- 200 grams Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 210 grams Flour
- 75 grams Oat Bran
- 100 ml Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tbsp Yoghurt
- 2 Apples grated
- 300 grams Apples chopped
- 100 grams White Chocolate (optional)
- 1 tsp Tahini (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C with fan.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs in a clean bowl until combined.
- Add the flour, bran, oil, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and yoghurt and combine with a spatula.
- Fold in the grated apple and half the strawberries.
- Line the cupcake tin with paper cups and fill with the muffin batter. Leave around 1 to 2 cm from the top. Sprinkle the top with the remaining strawberries and optional jumbo oats
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Remove and leave to cool for at least 30 minutes.